Friday, June 27, 2008

Sunset View


Every Year I wait for this tree to bud out in early spring. The tree has grown and it is similar but different every year; always a challenge. The sky colors at this time of the year are cooler than summer, when oranges and yellows become predominant. The first visit was for the sky. If it wasn't happening I would have maybe done a smaller painting and gone another day to catch the sky for my larger plan. This painting consisted of two visits and finally finished up little details out in my driveway. I like the north light there, as it works well for finishing up.
If you do work outside near a building or vehicle, think about reflections of the colors around you. These may compromise the hues you are working with, just as a brightly colored outfit will relflect on the painting surface. I was really happy to trade my white car for a gray one. I can't tell you how many times I had to move the car when I was painting on site to get rid of the glare. Such problems...!

1 comment:

Rob S. said...

Really excellent sky work here! -- A great capture of fleeting light.

Love the anecdote about the car! Never encountered that myself, but I'll watch out for it in the future, now!